Friday, September 11, 2009

Frustration vs. Optimism


I guess this is kind of an explanatory post. If any of you have noticed that I haven't been quite my cheery self as of late, there is a reason, and it's not that I'm depressed or struggling a ton. Really, it's mostly from school, and then it effects the other aspects of my life.


So, as explained in my previous post, I have kind of a hectic schedule right now. The main classes that are getting to me are Biostats and Differential Equations.


Let me start with Diff Eq's: The professor is obviously amazing at math, and luckily, he's american, so I can understand every word that he says. I just don't always follow what the words mean. He assumes that we know a lot more than I think most of the class actually knows. For homework, he requires a very strict format, including a form of the question, every step written out, with explanations of those steps, and then an answer check at the end. It usually takes longer to write the homework than to actually do the problem! Anyways, it's a hard class.


Second, Biostats. For the first couple of weeks, I thought this class was going to be a breeze. Then we got a homework assignment, and I realized that I had no idea what I was doing! How frustrating is that? So I stayed up late trying to figure it out, with little success. Luckily, (again), he gave us some extra time to finish and turn it in, because he realized that very few people in the class understood how to do the assigned problems. So really, I should be grateful and excited because of the two "luckily"s.


On a happier note, I think I aced the physics exam I had today, and my other class isn't really too difficult - Strengthening Families. Anyway, I occasionally (meaning about once every year or two) have to set a goal to just BE happier, without expecting things to MAKE me happier. So that's what I'm doing now.


No comments:

Post a Comment